Hidden Identities

Hidden Identities 

 (image taken from google)

All my life, my attention always seemed to amplify ten fold once the supernatural was introduced. It wasn't because they had glistening skin or snarling teeth; that could send children into a comatose of a nightmare. It was the fact that they hid themselves. From comic books to televised wonders, we had adored the idea that there was something out there that was different. 

Maybe it was because it made us feel more normal, or spiked a sense of adrenaline at the implausible notion. But everyone was enticed as soon as a hero or a villain had stepped onto a show. For me; they created a sanctuary. A safe haven. As my life grew more complicated and my own kryptonite, known as anxiety, rocketed into space. There were these people, who did not fit in nor fit out of place in our world, stuck in this bardo (in between these two states) and would never find an escape. Instead, they took their anchor as a way to grow and prevent their own self destruction. 

And although the people entrapped in these series are fictional, they show the very humanitarian values that reflect our own life. Recently I have felt like I do not fit in or out of my own reality. That I have no right to feel out of place; yet the more I combat my own enemies I find myself falling out of that space constructed for Harriet Grace. We are all heroes in our own right, fighting constantly with ourselves and others. It is how we act with that, which defines us. And that is why we see these supernatural characters- as super heros. Their hidden identities are the ones to see the harsh reality. And it is mine that I only allow to see of my own harsh reality. 

We struggle to find equilibrium in our own lives, and as instinct we strive on showing our best possible self. But equilibrium means presenting a balance, and by only ever pretending you are happy. One day you will break, and your own hidden identity will crumble until you're lost in its ashes.

-H.G. x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting through Exams