Getting through Exams

Getting Through  Exams


Unless you have some bizarre super power of not worrying, I think we all have been stuck panicking about the inevitable exams coming our way. From the year six SATs to university finals, we seem to be stuck with them. and if you're anything like me, there are times it all makes all my anxiety worse. and as a girl who has at least 10 panic attacks a week, I could do with a little break. But they also have taught me how to handle stress, which has helped me immensely. 
(and it feels amazing when you nail an exam of course!)

No matter your age, exams can be daunting. 

Don't listen to the people trying to ignore that, telling you their work is harder and somehow qualifies to be more stressful than yours. Well, good for them. but we all know thats not true. When I did my GCSE's, I could never understand the maths and without working on it I would've never achieved my grade. And now, because I've passed that stage of my life, I know the exams I have are harder. but at that time of my life, aged 16, I couldn't imagine a question harder than figuring out X by the pythagorus theorem. and I know it was the hardest set of exams I had ever faced. everything is relative to your age and perception, until you yourself have experienced something worse, you're allowed to be stressed and overwhelmed by the work load. and even after that, I could never imagine refacing my GCSE's, because my knowledge now is far different to my knowledge then. 

my mechanisms to cope with stress have mostly stayed the same through the years, and I hope they can help you:
  • Breathe. It may sound stupid and obvious, but breathing techniques do work. They make sure oxygen is getting through all of your body, and just help you to relax too.                                 In for 4, hold for 7, out for 8.
  • Count. I always count to three. My head always gets foggy before exams, all the information racing through my neural pathways as if to make sure I don't forget. Counting clears my head, lets everything calm for a minute before I open my paper. it means when I get to the first question, I don't just have random answers popping into my head. trust me, it does help me not write complete bollocks on my paper.
  • Step Back. I know for some people, all they can think about before the test is revision. And for others revision is the last on their mind. I'm the worst, everything gets to the last second before my brain clicks into revision mode. Then it goes in to over drive, and my parents have to tempt me away from my desk with a chocolate bar and Marvel movie. It's unhealthy to only focus on work, everyone needs that balance. so if you're asked to go to the cinema, go! its okay to take a break, you'll actually be more ready to take in information after a breather instead of non stop for eight hours. anyway who would say no to a party?
Enjoy yourself! Don't let these exams define you, nor control your life. binge watch a tv show or go skating at your towns ice rink. This is your life, and the best years of it should be spent with your friends. not a textbook.

-H.G. x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Identities